The answer here is simple.
Frank Ocean broke the rules.
In 2011, Ocean took the biggest risk ever and spent his hard earned dollars (which could probably not be much) to put together a very focused, and near-perfect album titled nostalgia, ULTRA, and released it for free via Tumblr. A site that hosts nearly 60 million other blogs.
So, how does a relatively unknown person break the rules and get picked out of millions? Either wait to get picked (which is not likely), or pick yourself and know:
- Keep it simple.
- You don’t need permission to do great work.
- Appeal to a very small niche.
- Re-invent yourself (and your idea).
- Give one person something to believe in.
- No matter how much the world pushes you to blend in – be awkward.